Portable power banks have become another everyday accessory for our favorite devices. And one of the most clever and practical uses of power banks is combining them with backpacks. Now you can charge on the go, completely hands-free! To help you find the best backpacks with power banks, we tested out and narrowed down the top 4 entries.
Backpacks That Can Charge Your Phone
One of the better inventions to come out that makes use of the ever-handy power bank is that of backpacks with charging capabilities. These practical portable power packs provide plenty of power while you’re on the go. Now you can easily carry all of your gadgets and keep them charged up in the process.
How Do Backpacks With USB Work?
Portable power packs work just like traditional power banks. Inside the backpack is a portable charger. You simply use its charging port like you would any other USB charging device. Once the power bank is sufficiently charged, your backpack is ready for travel.
Backpacks that charge your devices are ideal for commuting or traveling on foot. With portable power always at the ready, you can keep anything from smartphones to laptops charged up as you travel.
How to Use a Backpack With USB Charging Port
Backpacks with chargers typically have a USB charging port on the outside for easy access to all of your devices. This allows you to use your smartphone, tablet, or other applicable devices as they charge up while you’re on the move. It’s a convenient way to get the most out of your portable electronic devices without fear of running low on power.
1. SwissDigital Laptop Backpack – Best Overall Option
SwissDigital’s laptop backpack is a comprehensive unit that comes ready to deliver quality charging on the go. This is one of the finest entries we tested, with excellent design and construction throughout. Thanks to nylon and polyester material, you don’t have to worry about accidental snagging and tearing.
It comes packed with plenty of pockets and room for all of your belongings. You get access to a total of 20 small and large pockets, as well as 3 huge main compartments. You can easily carry laptops measuring up to 15.6 inches. Side pockets and webbing provide you with even more storage space.
SwissDigital’s backpack was built with protection in mind. It is equipped with RFID blocking technology, preventing would-be thieves from stealing your sensitive information. So you can safely store your wallet and credit cards in confidence and without fear of someone trying to swipe your data.
On the outside of the laptop-backpack is a USB port, providing you with instant access to your power bank. The drawback here is that you’ll have to provide your own portable charging bank. While this isn’t uncommon among these types of backpacks, you might expect there to be one given the price.
But what you’re paying for exceptional durability and build quality. This is a laptop backpack that should last for years. It’s built like a tank, using strong materials that can last a lifetime with the proper care. You certainly won’t have to worry about your belongings getting damaged with the protection that this backpack provides.
So grab a reliable power bank if you don’t already one, and you’ll be good to go. The SwissDigital USB charging laptop backpack is one of the best buys for the price. You won’t be disappointed.
- Nylon/Polyester – Thanks to these tough, durable, and long-lasting materials, you can look forward to getting plenty of use out this laptop backpack. The stitching is most excellent throughout, ensuring that you won’t have to worry about tearing. If you want a backpack that’s built to last, this is the one for you.
- TSA-Approved – This backpack unzips like a clamshell, providing agents with a complete view of your belongings. This allows you to get through security checks quickly and efficiently.
- RFID Protection – An RFID pocket keeps your most valuable data and information safe and secure from prying cyber-thieves. Now you can travel in safety knowing that your belongings are out of the reach of potential theft.
- No Power Bank – You’ll have to provide your own power bank and charging cables. If you already have one, just slip it in the backpack and run your cable to the USB port. Now you can use the USB charging hub to conveniently charge your devices while you’re on the go.
2. Clearon Bluetooth Backpack – Upgrade Option
This is easily the most versatile charging backpack we’ve ever reviewed. Not only do you get portable charging power on the go, but you also get built-in portable speakers. Thanks to Bluetooth 3.0 technology, there’s no need to mess with pesky wires to connect your media device.
The build quality of this backpack is impressive, to say the least. It sports a modern design that is sure to turn heads. The outer shell is very thick and durable, providing you with further protection from drops, bumps, and bangs.
And its large size ensures that you will be able to comfortably carry your belongings. Teflon fabric lining provides a water-resistant material that keeps your electronic devices protected from the rain.
And unlike other charging backpack entries we reviewed, Clearon’s Bluetooth Backpack comes with its own power bank. Simply provide your own USB charging cables to keep your favorite devices charged up and ready to go.
Out of all the unique features of Clearon’s backpack, it is perhaps the built-in speakers that deserve the most praise. This removable unit provides you with wireless audio anywhere you go. The sound quality is commendable, and there are even built-in controls that allow you to adjust the volume.
The price is a bit higher than other backpacks we looked at. But it’s understandable considering the great features included with this model.
- Auto-Shutoff – When a device isn’t connected to the Bluetooth speakers, it will shut off automatically to avoid unnecessarily draining the battery. This is just another handy feature that you can rely on to provide you with an enjoyable experience.
- Built-in Speakers – These powerful speakers deliver loud sound for any occasion. And thanks to built-in controls, you can adjust the volume to your surroundings. The speakers are also removable from the backpack, giving you greater freedom and versatility.
- Water-Resistant – No charging backpack would be complete without protective water-resistant material. The Teflon fabric lining ensures that your electronics and other belongings stay safe and dry at all times.
- 5000mAh – The only drawback to this laptop backpack is that the power bank is a bit underpowered. You certainly won’t be plugging anything into the USB port besides smartphones.
3. Tzowla Travel Backpack – Value Option
There’s a lot to like about Tzowla’s Travel Backpack. It is jam-packed with user-friendly features, making it our top pick as the best value option. This handy charging backpack comes equipped with an anti-theft locking feature that ensures all of your belongings stay safe and secure.
On the top portion of the Travel Backpack is a locking mechanism. To use this clever feature, you zip up the pulls on the main pocket to where both zipper-pulls meet in the middle, aligned with the lock. By inserting the pulls into the lock, you turn a dial to actuate the locking mechanism into the zippers’ pulls.
To get into your backpack and access your belongings, you must enter the correct 3-digit code. This is accomplished by turning numerical dials. When the correct passcode is selected, the locking mechanism will open, allowing you to remove the zipper pulls and unzip the main pocket.
It’s an incredibly handy addition that is a must-have for anyone who regularly carries their electronics with them. We found it to be very easy to use. Gaining access to the main pocket is quick and easy. And the locking mechanism feels solid and sturdy.
We love all of the pockets you get inside and out of the charging backpack. There is more than enough room for your everyday belongings. As a laptop backpack, you can carry laptops at big as 15.6 inches. There is also lots of room for books, magazines, tablets – you name it.
And with its water-resistant construction, you can safely travel in the rain without fear of damaging your electronics and personal belongings.
It’s important to note that this backpack does not come with a power bank. You must supply your own. Furthermore, you have to provide your own charging cables, as well. The backpack comes equipped with a small hub for connecting both a charging USB port and a headphone jack.
These are essentially female inputs that must have your own cables connected to each end. So you will need one cable running from your power bank to the hub, and a charging cable running from your device to the hub. The same is true for the headphone jack.
To make this work, you will need to keep your smartphone or tablet inside the backpack, with an AUX cable running from your device to the hub’s headphone jack. Then, from the outside of the USB port hub, simply plug in your headphones or earbuds. It sounds a little convoluted, but it works well in practice.
While you do have to provide your own power bank and cables, the price of this laptop backpack is reasonable. If you want a reliable backpack at an affordable price, you can’t go wrong with this budget-friendly entry.
- Water-Resistant – If you’re going to be carrying around expensive electronics in a backpack with charging capabilities, you need to protect your belongings from the rain. And that’s exactly what you get with this backpack. Its water-resistant construction ensures that your items stay dry in the rain or snow.
- Charging Hub – Thanks to this handy addition, you can easily charge up your devices and listen to music. Having instant access to both a USB port and a headphone jack makes this backpack an excellent travel companion.
- Anti-Theft System – Tzowla made sure that your items stay safe and secure by incorporating a locking mechanism. Thanks to a built-in passcode system, you can rest easy knowing that only you can access your belongings.
- Power Bank Not Included – While it’s certainly understandable given the backpack’s affordable price, it is a bit of a bummer that you have to provide your own power bank and charging cables. If you don’t already have a reliable power bank, you’ll want to pick one up if you decide to invest in this backpack.
4. No products found. – Alternative Option
If you like to have the latest and most innovative products, you might want to give HAWELL’s solar panel backpack a look. This laptop backpack comes with all of the staples you’d expect to get from a backpack with USB charging capabilities.
So, how does it work? Well, like anything with solar power, sunlight is absorbed through the huge solar panel outfitted on the main portion of the backpack. This is then fed through to your power bank, which is then connected to the backpack’s charging port. And from the charging port, you plug in your smartphone or tablet.
You will have to provide your own power bank, and you can’t charge your devices directly using the USB port and solar energy. It has to have a power bank connected to make use of solar energy. We would have liked it if you could just connect your phone or tablet to the USB charging port.
But alas, you must have a power bank connected. We found that you pretty much have to be direct sunlight for the solar panel to work the best. But it does work and could come in handy for someone to hikes a lot or take camping trips.
And while the backpack isn’t truly water-resistant, it’s pretty durable. It has strong material that does a fine job of repelling moisture. You’ll just want to make sure you get to it before it penetrates into the backpack. Everything else feels sturdy, from the USB charging port to the zippers and handle.
The price is obviously a bit higher than traditional backpacks that are equipped with a USB charging port. But it’s well-made, unique, and certainly a talking point.
- Solar Power – This feature ensures that you’ll always have access to power. As long as you have a portable charger, you can feel safe knowing battery life is just a ray of sunshine away.
- Durable – One of the best features we like about this backpack is its incredible build quality. From the straps to the stitching, everything is solid and secure. If you like to hike, this a dependable backpack that should serve you well in the wild.
- Large Pockets – The Solar Panel backpack comes with huge pockets. You can comfortably carry a laptop and all kinds of electronics and belongings in it.
- Power Bank Only – Without a power bank, you won’t be able to charge up using the USB port. This was a bit of a letdown, but it’s understandable. Just be sure to buy the right kind of power bank if you plan on taking this backpack hiking or camping.
So, which power bank backpack is the best buy? We have to give it to SwissDigital’s Laptop Backpack. The design is excellent and the construction is highly durable. While the other entries certainly have their place, SwissDigital’s reliability and spacious storage make it a winner.
Plus, it’s water-resistant and protects against potential theft. Sure, you can get more affordable backpacks. But do they offer the same protection and last as long?