If you’re not familiar with pass-through charging, you’ve come to the right place. We’re breaking down this innovative and convenient charging feature to share with you its incredible benefits. We’ll also tell you which portable chargers make the best use of pass-through charging, so you know which ones to buy.
What Does No Pass-Through Charging Mean?
Pass-through charging is simply the term used when a power bank is capable of charging both your device and itself simultaneously. As you can imagine, this is an incredibly handy feature to have at your disposal when you’re in a hurry and need everything charged up and ready to go.
Conversely, a device with no pass-through charging means that it won’t charge itself while you are charging up your device(s). But once you unplug your device, the power bank will resume charging itself.
Does your daily life consist of a lot of hustle and bustle intermixed with heavy device usage? Then you may need your portable charging bank to support pass-through charging.
Let’s explore some other features that come with these versatile power banks.
Can Power Bank Charge While Charging?
Yes indeed. And that’s what makes pass-through power banks so unique. Having the option to recharge your power bank while you are charging up your electronic devices ensures that your portable charger is primed and ready to go at a moment’s notice.
How Do You Charge a Portable Phone Charger?
The method is the same across most chargers. Portable power banks – even ones with wireless charging – typically make use of either micro-USB or USB-C for their charging needs. Like your smartphone or tablet, you simply plug the appropriate charging cord into the power bank’s USB input.
The other end of the charging cable plugs into a wall charger block unless it already has one hardwired onto it. The wall charger then plugs into a standard wall outlet.
There are some wireless charging power banks that make use of pass-through charging technology. Many of them even provide fast charging capabilities. If you’re in need of wireless charging, just be prepared to pay more for the convenience.
However, in our experience, this isn’t ideal for travel. The wireless feature is only convenient when you’re at home or at the office. Standard power banks are easier to slip in your pocket and take with you on the go. You can still charge up using a charging cable. You can’t really do that with a wireless charger during a walk or run.
Plus, you’re better off saving money by buying standard power banks. They’re often less likely to give you problems with charging your devices.
How Do You Know When the Power Bank Is Fully Charged?
Most pass-through power banks come equipped with LED lighting that tells you when the device is fully charged. These LED indicators vary from brand to brand and model to model. Some are four or five lights in a row that fill up when the battery is “full”.
Others consist of LED lights in the shape of a circle. Each “dot” that makes up the circle or row lights up as the power bank gradually completes charging. When it’s finished, all lights will be lit up.
Some power banks even boast a full numerical LED display. When this display reached “100”, you know that the pass-through power bank is fully charged.
1. No products found. – Best Overall Option
For fast-charging on the fly, UGREEN’s 70399 power bank is a sure bet. You’ve likely seen many power banks similar to this model. It’s about the size of a standard wallet, with smooth edges all around. It’s a cinch to carry in your back pocket when traveling on foot.
But what separates this power bank from other power banks is its ability to support pass-through charging. Now you can provide power to your devices and the charger. Portable power banks don’t often come with this feature, making the 70399 a must-have for anyone who is frequently on the go.
During our testing of the 70399 power bank, we found it to be perfectly adequate in keeping our smartphones and tablets juiced up throughout the day. In testing several different models, we found this power bank to fully charge some smartphones as much as eight times, while others charged up four times.
The UGREEN 70399 power bank worked surprisingly well considering its 10000mAh charger battery. As a portable charger, this is an affordable, reliable unit that should serve you well in your daily charging needs.
And thanks to pass-through charging, you’ll have a capable feature that enables you to stay charged in the midst of your busy schedule.
- Quick Charge 3.0 – If you’re usually in a hurry, this feature was made with you in mind. You can look forward to recharging your devices in a matter of minutes. And with pass-through charging at the ready, you don’t have to worry about sapping your power bank while you’re doing it.
- Power Delivery – Another fast-charging feature, this time reserved for the power bank. Not only will you be able to recharge your favorite devices quickly, but you’ll also be able to charge up your power bank just as fast. This is made possible thanks to its USB-C charging port. All of this combines to deliver a convenient charging experience.
- LED Indicator – We like when power banks sport a numerical LED indicator. This takes the guesswork out of the power bank’s remaining battery life. You’ll always know how much juice will be allotted to you throughout the day.
- Limited Use – The drawback to power banks this size is that they run dry of battery power rather quickly. You’ll likely need to charge up this power bank every night, especially if you plan on using the pass-through charging feature throughout the day.
2. No products found. – Upgrade Option
If you’re looking for something a little beefier, the UGREEN PB132 should serve you well. Thanks to its 20000mAh battery capacity, you can look forward to longer use and faster charging. At about the size of standard smartphone, the No products found. is convenient and easy to carry with you.
The power bank makes use of USB-C charging, ensuring that you’ll get faster recharging and less waiting. If you’re often in a hurry, you need handy portable chargers such as this. You can look forward to getting several charges each day, continually keeping your devices charged up and ready for use.
When you invest in power banks, it’s important that they come equipped with safe charging protection. UGREEN made sure to give you exactly that. Your devices get just the right amount of power while they charge, ensuring that there is never overcharging or overheating that could lead to potential damage.
You’re also getting access to two USB-A charging ports. Now you can charge two devices at the same time. Planning a trip with the family? This feature is a must-have for long rides in the car. No one will be fighting over the power bank now.
You’re going to be a little bit more for this robust power bank. But by our estimation, the slight cost difference is well worth the investment. Considering the convenience it provides, can you really put a price on that?
- 20000mAh Capacity – With power like this, you can charge up anything from smartphones to tablets to portable game systems like the Nintendo Switch. This power bank didn’t miss a beat during our testing, consistently delivering quality performance.
- Fast Charge – Most of us lead pretty busy lives. As such, we don’t have time to wait around for our devices to charge up. Thanks to UGREEN PB132’s fast charging capabilities, you can look forward to using your devices more often. And with pass-through charging at the ready, you’ll be able to keep all your devices fully charged.
- USB-C – With this updated charging port, your power bank will charge up faster than ever. Power banks are slowly transitioning to this port, ensuring that you get the most use out of your daily devices.
- No Cord Provided – Depending on the type of smartphone you use, you’ll have to supply your own USB-C or Lightning cable. This usually isn’t a big deal, though, as most of us have plenty of these lying around. Simply plug it into the power bank for instant charging power.
For the money, you can’t go wrong with the No products found.. Its pass-through charging feature works like charm. This power bank consistently delivered excellent performance throughout our testing. If you’ve been looking for a reliable, well-built power bank with pass-through charging, you’ll be plenty pleased with the UGREEN PB132.